Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"Not Even Wrong"

More than a month ago, I started reading Not Even Wrong, Adventures in Autism by Paul Collins. I picked it up from the library during Autism Awareness month and have slowly made my way through it. Slowly, only because I have so little time. I have really enjoyed it so far. The author tells about his and his son's journey as they learn about autism and get diagnosed. At the beginning, his son hasn't been diagnosed. The dad is a writer researching for a book he is writing. He comes across a "wild child" named Peter who lived in the forest all alone until he was found by local villagers in Germany. Eventually, the King of England (also from Germany) adopted him and brought him to London. Throughout history there have been similar children. Peter was nonverbal, lived in his own world and much preferred solitude to the company of friends. As the father continues his research, he and his wife discover that their son, Morgan is autistic. He then focuses his research on other autists and supposed autists from history. It's a very interesting read and describes well how a person with autism functions. As he learns more and more about autism, it becomes apparent that he himself is autistic and probably his parents as well. For a while, I've been planning an entry about movies. Disney movies, autism movies, and movies that Conlan likes. All three of which are not necessarily mutually exclusive. So look for that in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment