For a couple weeks I have been pondering how to truly interact with Conlan. A lot of the time, Gavin will be demanding my whole attention while Conlan does his thing across the room. At night, Gavin brings me a book to read, and I try to involve Conlan. That lasts for about 20 seconds before he goes to do something else. Gavin just soaks up knowledge. It is so easy to teach him new words and how to do stuff. He is always wanting to help dad fix stuff or mom with household chores. Conlan though, is more like me. Throughout college, I had this attitude that I could learn anything, and on my own. Why would I ask someone if I could read it in a book or google it on the Internet? I didn't want someone telling me but to discover and learn it for and by myself. I think Conlan is similar. He steps back and observes. He stays at the perimeter just watching and listening. On car rides he stares out the window with a look of deep concentration. I wonder what goes on in that mind of his. Sometimes he'll surprise us with something new he has learned. We never saw him practice it and all of a sudden, he is doing it. It is like he plays it out in his mind over and over again until he is certain that he can do it without flaw.
So, anyway, I've been trying to get on his level and do more with him than just the standard tickle and "zerber" wars. Since he loves pouring water, I had him help me wash the dishes using hand over hand. That seemed to work for a little while until he wanted to pour the water out of the sink.
Lately, he has been taking off all of his clothes. We worry about him getting sick, especially since we recently moved from Arizona to a cooler climate. He won't even keep on his jacket outside. Maybe I should take off all my clothes too in order to get on his level...
So, anyway, I've been trying to get on his level and do more with him than just the standard tickle and "zerber" wars. Since he loves pouring water, I had him help me wash the dishes using hand over hand. That seemed to work for a little while until he wanted to pour the water out of the sink.
Lately, he has been taking off all of his clothes. We worry about him getting sick, especially since we recently moved from Arizona to a cooler climate. He won't even keep on his jacket outside. Maybe I should take off all my clothes too in order to get on his level...
No comments:
Post a Comment