Friday, August 21, 2015

Enough?

I often find myself wondering if I'm doing enough for Conlan.  He doesn't get ABA therapy, because our insurance doesn't cover it, and we can't afford it.  All he gets is a couple speech therapy visits and a couple occupational therapy sessions per week. He's been on the county disability services and aid waiting list for over two years.  He struggles with learning his signs.  He doesn't always wipe.  We sometimes question if he even understands us.
 
We teach kids his same age at church.  As I watched them, it hit me hard, "he is so far behind".  Then this song came to mind.  I have done a lot for him.  I am there.  I kiss him. I hug him.  I laugh and play with him. That's what he needs, and apparently I do too.  The simple things.

 
 
Lately, he's really clung to me and has made it clear how much he misses and needs me.  One night after work, I headed towards the door to go teach my night class.  He stood in my way, clearly not wanting me to leave.  I had just barely gotten home, how dare I leave already!  Other times, he has stared longingly out the window as I drive away.  It breaks my heart, and how I wish I could be with him all day

No comments:

Post a Comment