Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween, dog food, and pancakes

I realize those three items in the title don’t normally go together, but with Conlan who knows!

This last weekend I made pancakes for the family.  Conlan was famished and really wanted his pancakes.  So he tried to help dad with the pancakes to somehow speed up the process.  The first pancake was almost ready to flip over. He must have wanted a bigger pancake, for he grabbed the cup, filled it with batter and proceeded to pour it onto the the half-cooked pancake already in the pan.  Of course some of it dribbled onto the counter on its way to the pan.  I had turned around or been working on something else and didn’t catch him.  The first-pancake-of-the-batch-never-turns-out-right” rule definitely applied here.  He still ate it for leftovers the next day though.  On my guard and ready this time, I helped him pour the next pancake. For this, my ears received screams of glee.  He loves pouring just about anything, not just water, and pancake batter is no exception.  He got real good at it and didn’t need much help by the time the batter ran out, though I did catch him a few times trying to add extra batter to pancakes that were still cooking.  Sure it was a little messier letting him pour the batter, but the pancakes still tasted the same and cleanup didn’t take that much longer.  Ever since he was about 1 year old, he has always loved eating pancakes, waffles, french toast and the like.  If you can put syrup on it, he’ll eat it (or just plain syrup too).

The past week or two, he’s been playing in the laundry room a lot.  It took us (well, probably just me) a while to figure out why.  He was going in there, turning on the light, shutting the door and playing with the dog food.  Pouring it onto the ground or into other containers. Sometime he even started eating it.  I remember the neighborhood kid daring me to eat some dog food when I was 6 or 7 years old.  It was gross but Conlan seems to think it tasty. Conlan seemed to eat only the red pieces of the Beneful kibble.  Maybe his diet lacks some nutrient found in red Beneful kibble.  A few months ago we did find out (through multiple blood tests) that he is slightly anemic but requires no medication.  Aside from pancakes, he eats a lot of meat.  He’ll pick sausage and pepperoni off of his pizza leaving some cheese and all of the crust.  He’ll also go around and eat other people’s sausage or beef or whatever meat he can find.  We try sneaking vegetables into his food by shredding it.  Sometimes, we’ll make scrambled eggs with shredded zucchini or squash, cheese, and sausage or bacon.   Pasta also gets shredded zucchini or squash tossed into it.

Halloween was lots of fun.  This was probably the first Halloween I’ve truly enjoyed since being a kid or the one before Hilary and I got married.  I’ve never liked dressing up much and always felt self-conscious. Part of it is from not being creative enough to come up with a good costume.  A friend gave us matching Salt and Pepper shaker outfits so I was set this year.  I was Salt and Hilary pepper.  Our church had their Trunk-or-Treat last Saturday.  About 3 minutes after putting Conlan’s Captain America costume on, it was laying on the ground of the gym.  Thankfully he had some clothes on underneath so the ward members weren’t treated with a streaking. Last night, for Halloween, we tried putting on a different costume thinking that maybe the tags or seams were bothering him before.  Nope.  He just didn’t want to wear anything.  It was a struggle just getting him to keep his jacket on.  He had lots of fun being outside whether he was strapped in the stroller or on my shoulders or trying to run off. It’s a good thing our street isn’t very busy!

100_1505
100_1489

No comments:

Post a Comment